Tuesday 11 May 2010

Films That Make Me Do Strange Things

Here's a few films that have had a little too much influence on me...


1. Dogtown & Z-boys (2001)
One of my very favourite films and ground-breaking in the way documentarys were made. Unfortunately the story of the pioneers of modern skateboarding is a bit too inspirational as I can't watch it without going out and skating, broken bones or not. It's brought me out of retirement many times.






2. On Any Sunday (1971)

Similarly, On Any Sunday is a classic cheesey documentary on the world of motorcycling, in the 1970s, and features Steve McQueen. The combination of slow motion racing, beautiful vintage machines, flamboyant characters, ludicrous but lovable theme music and a sprinkle of comedy made me beg my dad to teach me the family sport.



3. Into the Wild (2007)

Though if you've seen it you may expect it would put you on a downer I was already sold before the denouement. Whilst planning ahead for a road trip to get out there and live life I made do for the night with a rather pathetic bike ride in the dark that resulted in pushing home a flat tyred bike through the spooky woodland but man I felt... ALIVE!








4. Planet Terror (2007)


The romanticised view of grindhouse cinema made me wanna make my own homage to cheap crap. Funnily enough, I actually began work on this preposterous idea and will hopefully finish a good cheesey trailer soon with my film buddies and maybe a short slasher film to boot.







5. Rocky (1976)


No prizes for guessing what this film made me wanna do, let's just say I now have a good punch bag, gloves and weights in my loft that haven't been used in a while. I even contemplated drinking raw eggs like Sly did... ewww.








Honorable mention... The Mummy (1999) made me wanna go to Egypt, and probably helped my grades in history as a kid and The Motorcycle Diaris (2004) (and maybe Easy Rider also) is still pushing me in the way of an epic two man cross country journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment